Businesses in the USA may be organized as one of the following forms:
- individual business
- general partnership
- limited partnership
- alien corporation
An individual business isowned by one person.
A general partnership has got several owners. They all are liable for debts and they share in the profit.
A limited partnershiphas got at least one general owner and one or more other owners. They have only limited investment and a limited liability.
A corporation is owned by persons, called stockholders. The stockholders usually have certificates showing the number of shares which they own. The stockholders elect a director or directors to operate the corporation. Most corporations II. Forms of Businesses in the USA are closed corporations, with only a few stockholders. Other corporations are owned by many stockholders who buy and sell their shares at will. Usually they have little interest in management of the corporations.
Alien corporations are corporations of foreign countries.
All the corporations are to receive their charters from the state authorities. The charters state all the powers of the corporation. Many corporations try to receive their charters from the authorities of the state of Delaware, though they operate in other states. They prefer the state of Delaware because the laws are liberal there and the taxation is rather low II. Forms of Businesses in the USA. Such corporations which receive their charters from an outside state are called foreign corporations.
All the corporations require a certificate to do business in the state where they prefer to operate.
1. alien - иностранный
2. at will - по желанию
3. charter - документ, содержащий согласие государственного органа на создание корпорации
4. corporation - акционерное общество с ограниченной ответственностью (в США)
Answer the questions:
1. What are the main forms of business organization in the USA?
2. What is the difference between individual business and general partnership?
3. Whom is the corporation owned by?
4. Whom are the stockholders to elect?
5. How do shareholders buy and sell shares?
6. What are alien II. Forms of Businesses in the USA corporations?